Out of Mumbai

Out of Mumbai

Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Afghan connection

I met this guy yesterday when I was asking for directions for my room in the course . There were two guys some odd twenty year old standing there and giving people directions, they did not appear to be Indians or I was too tired and preoccupied after ten hour journey to find out . So I asked them dircetions and they told me where I had to go. When I was talking to them it was then I noticed that they were not Indians but then I thought interesting - let me find out more when I get time and moved on . At that time I was on the phone and quite engrossed in the conversation that I was having on phone - so I came down again to the corner where these guys were sitting and noticed that these two guys were helping with a passion
I let them be and then I noticed that one of the guys did not have an arm. So this guy was from Afghanistan and the other person was from Tibet.Then I probed (?) further and found out that they were under an exchange program at Asia Pleataeu - So I asked them about dinner whereabouts and then went up wit them for dinner. At dinner I came across very interesting people and then I saw them again . Everyone here clears the dishes and washes them for others. Reminded me of the work that happens in Gurudwara . It was like one big community indeed . I had interesting conversation with everyone  and then I was worried for my morning walk ..new place what do I do where will I go - is it safe etc. etc.
Then I asked the Afghan guy - his name is Khalid if we went for a walk - he said he did - so I asked him I could join him for a walk - he agreed so we went for walk at 6 and then I heard his whole story of his life about how he lost an arm ; how most of his family were killed - how he worked for 20 hours so that he could stufy and how his one arm has never been hindrance in anything in life but driving - wow - It has such a great listening and I wish I could jot all the details here ...

1 comment: